Wednesday, July 2, 2014

CSA Weeks 3 through 6

It is summer, and I am pretty busy both in the garden and doing other activities away from home. I have missed a few weeks of CSA posts, so I am putting a bunch of them together this week.

CSA Week 3
This week is the first week zephyr squash makes an appearance. I love this variety of squash, it is delicious when it is small and the blossoms are also great in a tempura mix or stuffed with your preference of decadence. Also included this week are lovage, peas, radishes, garlic scapes, broccoli, carrots and collards.



CSA Week 4
This week is a nice mix of early summer and spring. Dino kale, cabbage, summer squash, celery, cucumbers, onions, broccoli and radishes give a nice mix of options for the week.


CSA Week 5
This week was one of the larger shares this season so far with broccoli, cauliflower, peas, purple potatoes, rainbow chard, onions and parsley. This is the first year I have tried to grow "cheddar" cauliflower and while I enjoyed it, I don't think it will be a regular offering. Yellow cauliflower is neat, but the heads seemed smaller and slower to develop compared to other hybrid varieties.


CSA Week 6
This week includes a big zucchini for stuffing, irish cobbler potatoes, banana fingerling potatoes, fennel, rainbow chard, onions, turnips, squash and green cauliflower. This was another experiment to grow green cauliflower and the heads ended up being tiny. I am going to try something different in the fall to see if I can grow larger heads, but one thing that didn't suffer is the taste and texture, they are crisp and have a nice spicy zest to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment