Mixed Root Roast
This is a versatile dish because you can substitute different amounts of beets, carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes and even winter squash. I like to keep the beets to less than one third of the recipe so that they don't overpower the other ingredients.
1 part of some of the following
1/4 cup coconut oil or olive oil (I like coconut oil for this recipe)
1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice
salt, pepper, cayenne powder to taste
l. Dice roots into similar sized pieces.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees for coconut oil or 350 for olive oil.
3. put the coconut oil in the pan you will use and put it in the oven if it is still solid. (melt the coconut oil)
4. once oil is melted, stir in veggies and sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice), salt, pepper and a little cayenne powder.
5. put in the oven for 75 minutes. Why 75 minutes? I don't know, I am making this up as I go, but I swear it is good.
- 1 bunch beets with
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C). Wash the beets thoroughly, leaving the skins on, and remove the greens. Rinse greens, removing any large stems, and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish or roasting pan, and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. If you wish to peel the beets, it is easier to do so once they have been roasted.
- Cover, and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a knife can slide easily through the largest beet.
- When the roasted beets are almost done, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and onion, and cook for a minute. Tear the beet greens into 2 to 3 inch pieces, and add them to the skillet. Cook and stir until greens are wilted and tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the greens as is, and the roasted beets sliced with either red-wine vinegar, or butter and salt and pepper.
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, chopped beets
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Place the beets and onion into a saucepan over medium heat; add about 1/2 cup of water, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the beets are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the water from the vegetables, and place into the work bowl of a food processor. Add the margarine, start the machine, and pulse several times to finely chop the beets.
- Whisk together the egg and water until thoroughly mixed, then mix in the flour. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half, and form each half into a ball. Roll out a ball until it's 1/8 inch thick or less. Using a cup or cookie cutter, cut out dough circles. Repeat with remaining dough.
- To fill, place a dough circle into the palm of your hand, and stretch the dough out slightly. Place about 1 tablespoon of the beet filling in the center of the dough, and fold the dough over the filling. Pinch the edges of the dough together to seal completely, and use your index finger to make small crimped indentations all round the sealed edges. Dust the completed pierogi with flour.
- Fill a large pot with water, and bring to a boil. Drop the pierogies into the water, 1 or 2 at a time, and stir to prevent them from sticking. Reduce heat to a gentle boil, and cook until the pierogies float to the top, about 5 to 8 minutes. Drain and serve.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups beets, parboiled, sliced thin
- 1 Kohlrabi bulb, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup grated white or red onion
- 1 Asian pear, halved, cored, and sliced thin
In a small bowl combine the red wine vinegar, honey, black pepper, and salt. Slowly, while whisking add the oil until the mixture is emulsified. Combine all vegetables and let drain in a colander. Combine vegetables and dressing then toss with the lemon juice and goat cheese.