Thursday, January 9, 2014

2014 CSA Memberships Available!

I am excited to announce that I have completed my growing plan for 2014 and I have decided to start a 10 member CSA program. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture and it is a way for consumers to connect with local farms. CSA members of Marvin's Garden Produce pay a one-time fee of $300 and in exchange receive 20 weeks of produce from my garden. You can take a look at the CSA schedule here.

The charge works out to be $15 per week and for that price you will receive enough vegetables for two vegetable-loving adults. If you have a large family, I would be open to one household with a double subscription, or you could augment your weekly basket at the farmer's market or other source.

I am looking for members that are within a 10 mile radius of my house, which includes roughly everything inside the I-264 loop and most areas inside of I-265 that are west of Bardstown Rd. Pick up days will be Sunday at my home or at the Unitarian Congregation in Old Louisville, whichever you prefer. I will also have additional produce for sale at my home, and as a bonus to CSA members, you will be able to cut your own herbs in addition to what is included in your weekly share if you pick up at my home.

I will also be hosting a summer celebration at my home on July 15th to give members and their families an opportunity to see the garden and enjoy some dinner and drinks in our back yard under our beautiful river birch tree.

Members will always be welcome at the farm on weekdays between noon and 4pm and any time on Sundays. I believe that the CSA model works best when consumers really get to know the producers and see how their food is grown.

I will use organic growing practices which will sometimes mean that some of the produce may not look like what you find in the grocery store. Some greens may have small holes in them and some veggies may be a little smaller than what you are used to seeing on store shelves. But what they might lack in uniformity and unblemishedness (it's a word now) they will more than make up for in taste and freshness.

If you are interested in signing up for a share, please call 502-354-8438 or send an email to marvinsgp@gmail.com. I would prefer cash payment, but I can meet with you and process the charge on your credit card for a small additional fee if you prefer.

I do not accept SNAP benefits, but if you are reading this and cannot afford the prices mentioned, please contact me about the possibility of trading your labor in the garden for a share of vegetables.

Please spread far and wide, within the 10 mile radius anyway!

-mike

No comments:

Post a Comment