Thursday, January 29, 2015

Week 16 - Share content list and a recipe

In the skillet - Sun Golds, Garlic, Purple Beans, Baby Zephyr and Patipan Squash

This week, I didn't take a good picture of the shares, but all of the items in the photo went out to you, along with some other good stuff. 

Share Contents -

Garlic 
Carrots
Sun Gold Tomatoes
Baby Squash (with blossoms)
Purple Beans (Green when cooked)
Salad Mix
Red Radishes

This may be the last of the garlic, ditto the carrots. I planted both white and yellow carrots for fall, but both rows were overwhelmed and choked out by weeds. I will have more paste tomatoes for next week that are still pretty good as a fresh tomato, but are great for canning, stewing or salsaing. 

I included baby squash that are almost small enough to be bite-sized, tender and taste pretty good. This will be your first week of radishes from the fall crop, one last round of purple beans and a slightly less spicy now that the arugula is out of the mix salad mix.

Here's a recipe (the photo at the top) that I made up from part of this week's share:

Garden Summer Skillet

1 pint Green Beans
1 pint Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes
1 pint Baby Squash (minus blossoms)
2 cloves Garlic
1/8 cup Olive oil
1/8 cup Stock
Splash of White Wine Vinegar
Italian Seasonings to taste

I like my squash cooked to the point the are almost mushy, so they went into the oil first alone for 1-2 minutes. Then I added the cherry tomatoes (any variety will work, but by now, I am sure you'll agree Sun Golds are superior) and green beans. I let that cook with the lid on the skillet for a few minutes on medium heat. Then I added the stock, vinegar seasoning and garlic. With lid on, it cooked for 5 more minutes on medium heat, then 20 minutes more on low. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could bread the blossoms and pan fry them in the oil as an edible garnish. I would use med-high heat to pan fry.

We had this with meatballs and risotto. 



No comments:

Post a Comment